Sunday, August 1, 2021

One of these days

There are good days and there are bad days, and this is one of them. 
-Lawrence Welk

The day started with me sleeping late and rushing out but then arriving at work too early. I had to wait ten minutes to clock in. I drank coffee. 

The first email I received was from the manager of the department thanking a long list of people for the successful completion of a complicated project. I had spent hours on that project, staying extra time, even coming in to work specially during lockdown to complete some tasks. Guess whose name didn't appear on that long list.

When lunchtime rolled around, my desk-mate was invited to lunch, the woman in the next office was invited to lunch, a party was going on in the coffee room, the meeting room was full of crumbs. Guess who didn't get an invitation. 

Which makes it the 4015th time in a row I haven't been invited to lunch. (but hey.)

I went home to find my daughter sitting in the living room. She normally keeps vampire hours, so this was highly unusual. 

"Don't freak out," she said to me. 

I immediately freaked out. "What happened?"

"The air conditioner isn't working."

Guess how hot it was. 

Spoiler: It was very hot. 

I made extra ice and put the tray in the freezer where it spilled all over the pita bread. 

After receiving recommendations from several friends, I called an air conditioner technician. To his credit, he came within half an hour. He climbed up a ladder. He prodded and poked. "It's dead", he called down to me. "There's nothing I can do. You need to buy a new one." 

And he left, but only after declining a cold cup of water because it had an ant in it. He did not charge me for it. 

The cottage cheese was sour. The pita was soggy (not surprisingly, see above). 

I opened a can of mushrooms and cut my finger on the lid. 

I burned two other fingers frying cabbage. I don't know how those fingers got in the cabbage, but hey. 

The dough didn't rise for the cinnamon roll. Baking them anyway, the filling exploded. 


I dropped a box of raisins on the floor where they scattered and ran away.  


I went to read the paper. The paper informed me that I was elderly and needed another vaccine. 

I tried to make an appointment for the vaccine but the app didn't work. I was told it was because I was elderly and didn't know how to use an app. 

I had a little w(h)ine, and went to bed. It had just been one of those days. 

The next day, thanks to recommendations from friends, a different technician came and fixed the air conditioner, making it work better than ever, and I enjoyed the coolness more. Both the cottage cheese and the pita were fresh and a delight to eat. My fingers were all fine, and, while still elderly, I made an appointment to get a vaccine, thankful my country is concerned for my health. 

I drank ice coffee and had a piece of exploded cinnamon roll. 

It was just one of those days. 





7 comments:

Sonya Davidson said...

It is not what happens to us but how we react, is where our true strength comes from. You have some amazing strength, perserverance. Sonya

Beth Ben-Avraham said...

Most important of all -you retained your sense of humor. כל הכבוד!

Tehillah said...

Oh my gosh Reesa! Wow, I'm so sorry that you had such a difficult day! On the bright side, that experience will help you be happier during average days, and ecstatic on good days! Sending hugs!

A bit of work advice... try to get your name on documents, notes, comments, etc. when working on a project. And it wouldn't hurt to tell your manager that you were surprised not to be included in the celebration of the winning team because you have always thought of yourself as a productive team member (toot your own horn a bit).

Anonymous said...

Your sorrows, but our chuckles . . .

Excellent writing.

I am torn between wishing you 'snafu' days or strange-but-true pleasant days.

Be Well !

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Steve Goodman could cheer you up with a ditty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfp1wyvi5Hg

HolyCityPrayer said...

great stuff, thanks!

Morah Orah said...

Ha! Greatly funny!