Thursday, October 1, 2026

The Cookies Crumble

Funny, how one good cookie could calm the mind and even elevate a troubled soul.
-Dean Koontz

Sometimes me think, "What is Friend?" Then me say, "Friend is someone to share the last cookie with." 
-Cookie Monster

I love watching keep-fit videos while munching chocolate chip cookies.
-Dolly Parton

Today is National Homemade Cookie Day.

I like baking. I like the smell of the cakes as they rise in the oven.
I like the look of enjoyment on the faces of my kids and grandkids as they eat freshly baked treats.
(The truth is, they don’t often eat these treats freshly baked, because they don’t live in the house with me [
the kids and grandkids - the baked treats, do, in fact, live in the house with me], and I bake and put things directly into the freezer and take them out as needed – contact me for freezing tips.)

Since October 7th, 2023, I’ve baked hundreds, probably thousands of cookies – chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate chip, pineapple chocolate chip (are we seeing a pattern?) and once or twice sugar cookies. I give boxes of these to my soldier sons each time they go into another round of reserve duty. I also give boxes to their families while they are serving. I also give to my daughters to take home because hey, and also to my sons even when they aren’t in the army because hey.

I’m quasi famous for my cookies in the family. When I go visit the grandkids, the first question is “Savta, did you bring cookies?” Even my grandkids cousins will ask “Savta Reesa, did you bring cookies?” And then they thank me, “Thank you Savta.” In their tiny little voices as they pick out the chocolate chips to eat first.

And my heart melts utterly and completely and all my worries go away.

For a few minutes anyway. Until they start counting and arguing over whose cookie has more chocolate chips. 
But hey. 

I made about 400 cookies before Rosh HaShana, and the only ones that are left are the ones with cranberries and oats (Healthy Breakfast Cookies was the name of the recipe) because cranberries are not chocolate chips and are therefore evil, and we won’t bother discussing oats and their place in cookies.

And truth be told, after all these thousands of cookies, I don’t think I can roll another ball.

Maybe it was the long hot army reserve-filled summer.
Or the long month of Jewish holidays that is now ending.
Maybe it’s the skyrocketing price of chocolate chips.
But I’m hanging up my spatula and cookie sheets.

I’m cookied out.

I will miss the aroma of freshly baked cookies.
And the ‘Thank you Savta’. And my heart melting and my worries vanishing.

And even the fights over who has the cookie with the most chocolate chips.

My son has yet another round of reserve duty later this month, and we have National Picnic Day (aka Election Day) coming up.

If anyone knows where to get chocolate chips on sale, please let me know.



Please take a moment to say a prayer for our Holy Land, and our Holy soldiers, may they return home quickly and in health.

Our Father who is in heaven, Protector and Redeemer of Israel, bless the State of Israel, the dawn of our deliverance. Shield it beneath the wings of Your love; spread over it Your canopy of peace; send Your light and our truth to its leaders, officers, and counselors, and direct them with Your good counsel.
Strengthen the defenders of our Holy Land; grant them, our God, salvation and crown them with victory. Establish peace in the land, and everlasting joy for its inhabitants. Remember our brethren, the whole house of Israel, in all the lands of their dispersion. Speedily bring them to Zion, Your city, to Jerusalem Your dwelling-place, as it is written in the Torah of Your servant Moses. 
Even if you are dispersed in the uttermost parts of the world, from there the Lord your God will gather and fetch you. The Lord your God will bring you into the land which your ancestors possessed, and you shall possess it; and God will make you more prosperous and more numerous than your ancestors.
He Who blessed our forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob — may He bless the fighters of the Israel Defense Forces, who stand guard over our land and the cities of our God, from the border of the Lebanon to the desert of Egypt, and from the Great Sea unto the approach of the Aravah, on the land, in the air, and on the sea. 

אָבִינוּ שֶׁבַּשָּׁמַיִם, צוּר יִשְׂרָאֵל וְגוֹאֲלוֹ, בָּרֵךְ אֶת מְדִינַת יִשְׂרָאֵל, רֵאשִׁית צְמִיחַת גְּאֻלָּתֵנוּ. הָגֵן עָלֶיהָ בְּאֶבְרַת חַסְדֶּךָ, וּפְרֹשׁ עָלֶיהָ סֻכַּת שְׁלוֹמֶךָ, וּשְׁלַח אוֹרְךָ וַאֲמִתְּךָ לְרָאשֶׁיהָ, שָׂרֶיהָ וְיוֹעֲצֶיהָ, וְתַקְּנֵם בְּעֵצָה טוֹבָה מִלְּפָנֶיךָ. חַזֵּק אֶת יְדֵי מְגִנֵּי אֶרֶץ קָדְשֵׁנוּ, וְהַנְחִילֵם אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְשׁוּעָה וַעֲטֶרֶת נִצָּחוֹן תְּעַטְּרֵם, וְנָתַתָּ שָׁלוֹם בָּאָרֶץ וְשִׂמְחַת עוֹלָם לְיוֹשְׁבֶיהָ.
וְאֶת אַחֵינוּ כָּל בֵּית יִשְׂרָאֵל פְּקָד-נָא בְּכָל אַרְצוֹת פְּזוּרֵיהֶם, וְתוֹלִיכֵם מְהֵרָה קוֹמְמִיּוּת לְצִיּוֹן עִירֶךָ וְלִירוּשָׁלַיִם מִשְׁכַּן שְׁמֶךָ, כַּכָּתוּב בְּתוֹרַת משֶׁה עַבְדֶּךָ: “אִם יִהְיֶה נִדַּחֲךָ בִּקְצֵה הַשָּׁמַיִם, מִשָּׁם יְקַבֶּצְךָ ה’ אֱלֹהֶיךָ וּמִשָּׁם יִקָּחֶךָ. וֶהֱבִיאֲךָ ה’ אֱלֹהֶיךָ אֶל הָאָרֶץ אֲשֶׁר יָרְשׁוּ אֲבֹתֶיךָ וִירִשְׁתָּהּ, וְהֵיטִבְךָ וְהִרְבְּךָ מֵאֲבֹתֶיךָ.
וְיַחֵד לְבָבֵנוּ לְאַהֲבָה וּלְיִרְאָה אֶת שְׁמֶךָ, וְלִשְׁמֹר אֶת כָּל דִּבְרֵי תּוֹרָתֶךָ. וּשְׁלַח לָנוּ מְהֵרָה בֶּן דָּוִד מְשִׁיחַ צִדְקֶךָ, לִפְדּות מְחַכֵּי קֵץ יְשׁוּעָתֶךָ. הוֹפַע בַּהֲדַר גְּאוֹן עֻזֶּךָ עַל כָּל יוֹשְׁבֵי תֵּבֵל אַרְצֶךָ, וְיֹאמַר כֹּל אֲשֶׁר נְשָׁמָה בְּאַפּוֹ: “ה’ אֱלֹהֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל מֶלֶךְ, וּמַלְכוּתו בַּכּל מָשָׁלָה”. אָמֵן סֶלָה.

May the Almighty cause the enemies who rise up against us to be struck down before them
May the Holy One, Blessed is He, preserve and rescue our fighters from every trouble and distress and from every plague and illness, and may He send blessing and success in their every endeavor.

May He lead our enemies under our soldiers’ sway and may He grant them salvation and crown them with victory. And may there be fulfilled for them the verse: For it is the Lord your God, Who goes with you to battle your enemies for you to save you.

מִי שֶׁבֵּרַךְ אֲבוֹתֵינוּ אַבְרָהָם יִצְחָק וְיַעֲקֹב הוּא יְבָרֵךְ אֶת חַיָּלֵי צְבָא הֲגַנָּה לְיִשְׂרָאֵל, הָעוֹמְדִים עַל מִשְׁמַר אַרְצֵנוּ וְעָרֵי אֱלֹהֵינו מִגְּבוּל הַלְּבָנוֹן וְעַד מִדְבַּר מִצְרַיִם וּמִן הַיָּם הַגָּדוֹל עַד לְבוֹא הָעֲרָבָה בַּיַּבָּשָׁה בָּאֲוִיר וּבַיָּם. יִתֵּן ה’ אֶת אוֹיְבֵינוּ הַקָּמִים עָלֵינוּ נִגָּפִים לִפְנֵיהֶם. הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא יִשְׁמֹר וְיַצִּיל אֶת חַיָלֵינוּ מִכָּל צָרָה וְצוּקָה וּמִכָּל נֶגַע וּמַחֲלָה וְיִשְׁלַח בְּרָכָה וְהַצְלָחָה בְּכָל מַעֲשֵׂה יְדֵיהֶם. יַדְבֵּר שׂוֹנְאֵינוּ תַּחְתֵּיהֶם וִיעַטְרֵם בְּכֶתֶר יְשׁוּעָה וּבַעֲטֶרֶת נִצָּחון. וִיקֻיַּם בָּהֶם הַכָּתוּב: כִּי ה’ אֱלֹהֵיכֶם הַהֹלֵךְ עִמָּכֶם לְהִלָּחֵם לָכֶם עִם אֹיְבֵיכֶם לְהוֹשִׁיעַ אֶתְכֶם: וְנֹאמַר אָמֵן:

 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anxious to hear from you, Reesa in early December. I expect that you'll break your No Cookie Making in honor of Hanukkah 😊 But I pray that you enjoy the break 🤗

Esther Brener Ladell said...

🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪 way to go Savtoosh!!!